What you need to know
- Minecraft 1.20 “Trails & Tales” is the next major content update coming to Minecraft on all platforms.
- On Friday, Mojang Studios finally revealed the update’s release date of June 7, 2023.
- The update will bring new mobs, blocks, mechanics, customization features, crafting recipes, and much more.
- Along with the update, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition is also officially launching on Google Chromebooks.
Minecraft hasn’t become one of the most successful and best-selling games of all time for no reason, and it’s enjoyed more than a decade of healthy living due to the steady stream of support from its creators and community. On Friday, Minecraft developer Mojang Studios finally revealed exactly when players can expect the official release of the next major Minecraft content update.
Minecraft update 1.20 “Trails & Tales” officially arrives June 7, 2023, for both Minecraft: Java Edition and Minecraft: Bedrock Edition players. This is a huge update, so I won’t be covering everything, but here’s a quick overview of some of the more exciting features coming to Minecraft in this version.
- New biome. The Cherry Grove is a wonderful and rare new biome coming to the Overworld that features beautiful cherry trees. These trees bring a whole new set of rosewood to Minecraft that can be used to build, well, everything wood can be used for in Minecraft. There is also a unique fall cherry blossom effect that can only be found in Cherry Groves.
- New mob. Two new Gogans join the vast Minecraft ecosystem with Camel and the Sniffer. Both of these mobs are passive mobs, meaning they pose no threat to players and can be very useful to have around!
- The camel is a unique mount that can seat players, is tall enough to avoid angry hands from hostile mobs, can dash long distances instead of jumping, and has a lot of unique animations for various actions.
- Sniffers are a group of long-extinct mobs that players can bring back to life by finding sniffer eggs and giving them life, and using their powerful noses to sniff out ancient plant seeds that can be grown into two different types of rare decorative plants.
- New mechanics. Archeology is finally coming to Minecraft, and it will give players new reasons to explore desert biomes in search of new treasure and secrets.
- Players can craft the new brush tool and find suspicious sand to clean it away, revealing what’s hidden underneath
- With archeology, players can find tons of treasures, including sleeping snuff eggs and pottery shards that can be combined into unique and ornate pottery vessels.
- New crafting items and blocks. There are tons of new blocks to discover and items to craft in the upcoming Minecraft update, including:
- Hanging banners, which are more versatile and customizable versions of regular banners
- Hewn Bookshelves, which are fully functional bookshelves that can even be attached to primitive redstones
- A complete bamboo wood kit, including a unique bamboo raft instead of the boat that other wood kits get
- A new mob boss, as well as new interactions between mob bosses and note blocks to create crowd noise when driving
- New customization options. Minecraft players will have more options to express themselves, especially in the late game, with these features.
- Armor Edges allow players to find rare molds to customize their favorite armor with unique colors and designs, with dozens of possible combinations
- For players of the Bedrock Edition, shields can now be combined with your favorite banners to give their design a boost
- Countless bug fixes, vanilla parity changes, and quality of life improvements. Every Minecraft update has all of this, but the Trails & Tales update is especially full. Mojang Studios has implemented dozens of bug fixes and various improvements across each platform, as well as improvements to parity between Java and Bedrock versions, more accessibility options, and much more.
You can see many of these new features and improvements in the images below.
picture 1 to 19
Not only are Minecraft players getting a huge feature-packed update – we’re getting a new platform to play on. Minecraft has been tested on Chromebooks for a while now, but the game is officially launching on Google laptops and tablets with the release of the Trails & Tales update. This is the Bedrock Edition, of course, so it features full cross-play and cross-save with all other Bedrock Edition platforms.
Minecraft is also getting five new songs with this update. If you can’t wait to hear it, you can already find new Minecraft songs on most streaming services right now.
In case you missed it, a long-running hot topic in the Minecraft community once again made the rounds when ray tracing files were found in Minecraft: Bedrock Edition. However, it is very likely that these files are already in the game for the Windows PC version and NVIDIA RTX GPUs, so gamers shouldn’t get their hopes up for ray tracing in Minecraft on Xbox Series X | S.
Minecraft isn’t just one of the best Xbox games and the best PC games… it’s simply one of the greatest games ever made. The 1.20 “Trails & Tales” update isn’t the biggest or most ambitious update Minecraft has ever seen, but it does include a ton of new features focused on expanding player expression, creativity, and acting, as well as dozens of under the hood changes to improve the overall experience.
Minecraft 1.20 “Trails & Tales” officially releases on June 7, 2023, and will be available to players on Xbox Series X | S, Xbox One, Windows PC, PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Android and iOS. Both versions of Minecraft are also available through Xbox and PC Game Pass, giving you even more ways to play.
This update is also released the day after Diablo 4 arrives, so Minecraft is officially Diablo’s competitor (plus Minecraft Dungeons, I mean). Did you hear here first.