2K Games has canceled plans to release Marvel’s Midnight Suns for Nintendo Switch.
The news was announced on Tuesday along with the release date for the late Xbox One and PS4 versions of the Firaxis developed game.
The last-generation console versions will launch digitally on May 11, with no plans for a physical release.
Blood Storm – Storm DLC Trailer | Midnight from Marvel
“A Nintendo Switch version of Marvel’s Midnight Suns will not be offered as part of the updated plans,” 2K said in a press release.
The fourth and final DLC after Marvel’s Midnight Suns, Blood Storm, will also be released on May 11.
Available either for standalone purchase or as part of the game’s Season Pass, each DLC pack introduces a new recruitable hero (Deadpool, Venom, Morbius, and Storm) and three new story missions.
After a delay from the game’s previously planned October release window, the PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC versions of Midnight Suns were released in early December.
While the game was critically well received, all versions were significantly downgraded within a month of release, indicating that its publisher was disappointed with its commercial performance.
This was apparently confirmed in February, with Bloomberg Jason Schreyer Report a retail game failure.
Take-Two president Zelnick told the publication “it’s possible that the release window wasn’t ideal” but that he believed Midnight Suns could sell well in the long run, like other Firaxis titles.
It was announced in February that Jake Solomon, director of the Midnight Suns and XCOM franchise, was leaving Firaxis after more than two decades as part of a major shake-up at the studio.
2K also confirmed that studio head Steve Martin was leaving Firaxis after 25 years and being replaced by former COO Heather Hazen.
At the same time, it announced that the next major game in Sid Meier’s Civilization series is in development at the studio.